Our friends The Christmas Forest will be back at SMCC this year, selling a huge selection of real Christmas trees at very competitive prices.
You can drive or walk in and pick up a tree in person, or order online.
A proportion of profits goes to Tree Aid, through which they have planted 232,275 trees in the Sahel region of Africa to date.
Our partnership with The Christmas Forest is very important for the sustainability of the club, so please consider buying a tree from them this year.
About junior cricket at Streatham & Marlborough Cricket Club (SMCC)
We run cricket for girls and boys of all ages, and we aim to be the most fun cricket club for miles around. Players and parents who have tried other clubs often tell us they love the relaxed, friendly and sociable feel of our club, and the high quality of our coaching.
Our junior players come from many different walks of life. Of our 250 junior players, around 35% are of a non-white British ethnicity, 20% are girls (with numbers roughly doubling each year) and 3% have a disability.
Our players come from dozens of different schools and we estimate that at least 50% attend a state school. Some are beginners, most are intermediate and around 5% are advanced players who also play for Surrey or London Schools.
As long as you're crazy about cricket, you'll feel right as home at SMCC Juniors.
A short film about us
This short film made about the club in 2017 gives a taste of what we’re all about. Some of the players in the film are now part of our coaching team.
Our coaching is led by professional cricket coaches. Our coaching support staff are also ECB accredited and DBS checked. Training sessions are lots of fun and we’ll help you learn the full range of cricket skills, even in our youngest age-group. You’ll be playing full-on cricket within a few weeks.
On summer training nights we have the bar open and usually fire up the barbecue on Fridays, making training as enjoyable for the parents as it is for the kids. We usually run at least two big social events every year, and we run summer camps.
We also have indoor cricket from autumn through to spring.
Our junior section is growing
Streatham & Marlborough Cricket Club formed in 2003 through the merger of Streatham CC (1805) and Marlborough CC (1870). Our current junior section started in 2008 with a single team of Under 12s, several of whom now play in our senior teams. We have grown rapidly in the last few years and 2019 was our biggest and best year yet.
- Junior membership up from 100 to 250 players
- Girls section is up from around 5 to 50 players
- Number of league teams is up from 4 to 10 age-group teams
- Number of matches held per year is up from 48 to over 135
- Around 5 times as many players are attending our much improved indoor training courses over the autumn and spring.
- Number of parents are involved in volunteering to help run our junior cricket is up from around 10 to over 40 and more parents (mums as well as dads) are playing cricket themselves with our open-age (senior) sides than ever before.
- As well as running DBS checks, we now run our own safeguarding training sessions for parents and captains.
- Around 5% of our players have represented London Schools and/or participated in Surrey performance programmes
- We joined the Young Leaders programme in 2018 aimed at players aged 14-16, with many of our teenage players becoming regular support coaches as a result.
- Our 2019 summer camp was about three times as big as our first camp in 2017, with an average of 30 players per day over 16 days taking part - that's around 3,500 player-hours of cricket.
- We started using a new online registration and payment system, LoveAdmin, to streamline our bookings processes and to allow payment in monthly instalments.
- We've taken several huge steps closer to realising our dream of a new pavilion and we currently anticipate the re-build to start during in 2020.
- We've been working in partnership with a new head coach since 2017 and we're delighted that he and a business partner are have now launched Cricket 360, providing cricket coaching services to an expanding number of clubs and schools in south-east London, using what we've developed together as a model.
Join us and be part of this great club. We're going to become even better in 2020.