Summer holiday cricket camp
Younger players at our 2018 camp learning the basics of bowling and wicket keeping in the morning, before playing games in the afternoon.
2020 Summer Camp
Our third summer camp in 2019 was our biggest and best yet, with over 30 kids per day training and playing games of cricket for 16 days. We're planning to run another summer camp in 2020. We'll publish details nearer the time. For now, please see the details of our 2019 camp below, which will give you a good idea of what to expect.
Our 2019 Summer Camp...
Our summer camp is delivered in partnership with 360 Cricket, which has been set up by our head coaches Robbie Gunn and Lloyd Edwards.
If you have already booked via the SMCC booking system (PaySubsOnline / LoveAdmin) then your bookings are still valid.
What's new in 2019
2019 is our third year of running our cricket camp and it's already our biggest (over 30 kids/day attending) and best yet. We have a new and exciting activity plan based around players of all ages and abilities being part of one of four teams, named after four cricketing countries, with points earned throughout every camp day contributing to their team's total.
Who are the camps for?
- Kids aged 5-13 at the time of the camp.
- Girls and boys
- Up to 45 kids per day
- Kids of any ability level from beginner to advanced. Players will be split into appropriate groups each day
- You don't have to be a current member of the club - the camp is open to everyone
- Younger players up to around age 9-10 will generally be in a soft-ball group; older players from around age 9-10 upwards will generally be in a hard ball group (and should bring full protective kit if they have it)
When is the camp?
- 9am-4pm each day
- Mon-Thu on the first four weeks of the state school summer holidays
- Mon 29 July - Thu 1st Aug
- Mon 5 Aug - Thu 8 Aug
- Mon 12 Aug - Thu 15 Aug
- Mon 19 Aug - Thu 22 Aug
Where is the camp?
The camp is held at Streatham and Marlborough Cricket Club. See our location.
Do I have to book the whole week? Can I book just a day or multiple weeks?
You can book your child or children into whichever days you like, but obviously kids will probably enjoy attending a full 4-day week the most. You can also book more than one week if you wish, but we'd only recommend that if your kids are extremely keen on cricket, because 4 full days of cricket is a lot at that age, and the activities each week are likely to be similar (though adjusted for the group of kids attending).
How much does the camp cost? When do I need to book by?
- £45/day with discounts for booking multiple days (see the booking page on the 360 cricket website)
- Sorry, we are not able to accept childcare vouchers.
Older players at our 2018 camp working on their bowing and batting in the nets, getting ready for a match in the afternoon.
How many kids will be in the camp per day? How many coaches will you have?
- We're expecting an average of about 30-35 kids per day. Maximum of 45 kids per day.
- The number of players is expected to be split roughly 50/50 between younger (soft ball) players and older (hard ball) players and a range of abilities from beginners to advanced. The kids will be split up each day into suitable groups for their activities.
- We will aim to provide the same coach:player ratio of 1:7 as we aim for the rest of the year, with a suitable ratio of senior and support coaches as per Clubmark guidelines.
What do my kids need to bring?
- A bottle of water (which they can refill at the club)
- A packed lunch & sufficient snacks (ideally healthy ones) to get them through an active day
- Clothing suitable for sport (consider warm layers and a change of clothing if the forecast is for cooler weather and showers)
- Their own cricket kit, if they have some already (if not, we have some club kit that can be borrowed and should that not be sufficient we will expect players to share, which normally they are very happy to do)
- Sunblock and cap (sunblock will not be applied by coaches, so parents should apply this in advance and/or teach children how to apply it)
- Any medications that your child needs (e.g. asthma inhaler, EpiPen, etc) - coaches are trained in emergency First Aid but will not give or apply any medication, so you must ensure your child knows how to do this themselves
- It's a good idea to write your child's name on all items, to avoid them getting mixed up.
Wet weather plans
This year, there will be plans in place for keeping the kids busy and entertained in the even of wet weather. Activities will be mainly cricket-related, but may also include use of videos, video games etc. We do not plan to cancel in the event of wet weather. We'll get the kids outside as much as possible, so if it looks wet, you might want to pack them a spare pair of socks, etc.
Other usage of the grounds on camp days
Please be aware that on Wednesdays there will be an adult afternoon match on one pitch starting from around 1pm, and we may occasionally also have private hirings of one pitch for games typically also starting from around 1pm. On those days we will use only the other pitch at those times, but normally the camp will have full use of both pitches and practice nets.
Please remember we are a non-profit, member-run cricket club
While Gunn Cricket Academy coaches running our summer camp are paid professional coaches and paid support coaches, we as a club are not a business and we are not run for profit. SMCC is, like most all cricket clubs, run by a few of its players and parents, volunteering our time simply for the love of the game and for the love of our wonderful little cricket club. We run the club in our spare time, so please bear that in mind. For example, please try to find the answers to your questions on this website before thinking of emailing us. There's no-one at the club paid to answer emails - it's done by another parent like you, often while commuting to work or in the evening after kids have gone to bed. There's also no-one paid to pick up litter so please ensure all litter goes in the bins provided. Please be considerate, and if you do decide you want your kids to join the club, please be prepared to help out a little here and there. We enjoy running the club and watching our kids play here, and we want you to feel that same joy!