Results (summer 2018)
2018 was our best year yet
As a junior section that has only been going 10 years, we have not historically won as many games as we've lost, but in 2018 we turned a corner, winning very nearly as many games as we lost.
Our players did this during a year in which 25% of our players were new to the club and we entered them into more age-groups that ever before, making some of our older squads very small at the start of the season. Many players who had played hardly any cricket before were gutsy enough to represent the club in matches that were often against opposition teams full of experienced players.
We want to say a huge 'well done' to all of our players, old and new.
We think this recent improvement in performances was largely down to the following factors, which we intend to build on in 2019:
- Far more players attended indoor training over winter and spring than ever before
- We got squad sizes right so that very few (only the most talented) kids were playing up a year
- The quality of our coaching and training has improved in general
- We played more training games than in previous years
- Taking a slightly more competitive approach to selection and organisation of players in games
- Lots of hard work by parents volunteering as team managers, many of whom gave our kids extra practice on the sidelines of matches, by organising friendlies and by running their own additional net sessions
- And of course the kids also also looked and felt more like a team, wearing club shirts and caps for the first time
Cricket is fun even when you don't win, but there's no doubting that it's more fun when you win a good number of games and we made a big leap forward in that department in 2018.
How can I check results?
Each age-group has a What's App group for parents, and results (and sometimes live over by over commentary, if the match is an exciting one) are normally posted there first.
We also encourage a parent from each team to post the result and a few words on how the match went to the club's facebook group, which we encourage all parents to join.
For league matches, you can also check team results (but not individual performances) by going to http://stmcc.play-cricket.com/, and selecting Matches > Results, then using the options to filter the list (see fixtures above) for the timeframe and team that you are interested in.